Want to be a HESP InTERPretation Guest Blogger?
All HESP Terps and affiliates are encouraged to submit content to HESP InTERPretation for publication.
While HESP InTERPretation is primarily written by the HESP Terps and others affiliated with the University of Maryland, all relevant submissions by will be considered for publication.
Submissions should include:
- Unformatted blog text, which may include hyperlinks to relevant sites (see guidance below on use of links).
- A personal bio that you would like beneath your blog post.
- Optional: A photo directly related to the blog topic. All photos are subject to review may not be used at the discretion of HESP InTERPretation.
Your content must:
- Be about speech, language, or hearing science, speech pathology or audiology practice, research or related topics.
- Be your own original work. When quoting or referencing others, please cite your sources accordingly.
- Be factual. You have done reasonable research to confirm its accuracy.
- Be between 200 – 2,000 words. Shorter/longer posts may be considered and accepted at our discretion if the topic warrants
Images & Video
We encourage images and/or video to accompany guest posts. Your images must:
- Be directly relevant to the post content.
- Be your own or you must have the right to use the images and/or video and allow us to use them.
- If you’re including pictures of people, you must ensure that you have their permission to use them.
- If you do not submit a photo or if your photo is not approved a featured photo and other visual content will be selected for you.
- If submitting video, total length should be between 1 and 3 minutes, including credits. Longer video that can be embedded from other sites may be accepted.
We want to give you credit as the author of your post. Your bio will be displayed at the bottom of the page below your guest post.
- We allow links in your byline to your lab, blog, professional project. HESP InTERPretation may add its own links at our discretion.
- We will allow links to your site within the post content if it is directly related to the blog post topic.
- All links must be approved by HESP InTERPretation.
- Excessive links or any links that appear commercial will be removed. We reserve the right to remove any link including your bio at our discretion.
Social Media Post
We want your post to be seen by as many people as possible.
- You will be named and tagged by University of Maryland Hearing and Speech Clinic advertising your post on social media unless explicitly asked not to.
- Please be available to monitor and answer any questions or comments on Facebook after your post is published. Please maintain a professional and positive tone in your responses.
- If we use your guest post, you may promote it on your own website, Facebook, Twitter or other social media forums. Promoting does not mean you post the entire article on these forums. You may include a link to your guest post and a short sentence or two explaining what the article is about.
- Submit your post to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Not all submissions will be selected for publication. We expect to receive more submissions than we are able to use. Additionally, we may reject submissions that don’t meet our guidelines or we otherwise feel are not a good fit with our blog.
- If your piece is selected, we will try to provide you with notice at least one week before the date we intend to publish your blog post and social media post so that you are available to monitor and answer questions or comments on each post.
- We do not pay for submissions. If you decide to submit a post, you do so with the knowledge that you will not be entitled to any compensation for writing the post or for any other compensation related to the post.
- You will make us aware of any actual or potential conflict of interest in connection with your submission.
- If your submission is accepted, we may require edits if we feel they are necessary to ensure that HESP InTERPretation stays congruous with our values and tone.
- We may add our own images/video if we feel they will help improve the post. You must request permission to use those images/video in any way not related to this blog.
- All submissions must be reviewed and approved by us prior to publication.
Questions? Want to run an idea past HESP InTERPretation? contact email@example.com.